Photo of 2015 Effigy by Peter Jennings
If you think you have what it takes to design / lead / build the Effigy, take a look at the job descriptions below. Submissions will be open around the middle of each year and potential build managers are asked to submit a letter of interest. Your Expression of Interest (EOI) needs to include:
– An image of the design
– A brief description of the concept and how it relates to the theme
– A physical description – dimensions, materials used, etc
– Budget estimate (keeping the estimate as close to a budget of $8000 if you can)
– Short artist bio.
Please email all expressions of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline of 1 September 2019.
POSITION: Effigy Crew Manager
REPORTS TO: ExCom, Event Manager, Infrastructure Facilitator
To oversee the design, construction and burn of the Effigy Structure for the coming year’s event. The Effigy burns on the Saturday night of the festival.
- Must be able to cost out the project and produce the design within budget. This includes the purchase and delivery of all construction materials, fixings, rigging equipment, paint, lighting, pyrotechnics, fuel and any other associated costs (including any swag for your crew)
- Construction Planning and Implementation
- Create a workable design for the structure and oversee its construction and burn. This includes building, rigging, placement, lighting, pyrotechnics and fuel
- Volunteer Management
- Assemble a crew of approximately 10 volunteers and manage them throughout the build (meals and water will be provided for one week prior to festival start date)
- Submit a health and safety plan pre-build
- Financial reporting to the ExCom post-event
- Submit Afterburn Report (usually several months post-event).
In Summary, applications for Effigy Crew Manager:
- Submit a written EOI to email@example.com by 1 September 2019. Your EOI should summarise your design concept, construction experience (particularly Burn builds) and any other relevant qualifications or skills. You also have the opportunity to ask any questions for which you will need answers in order to prepare your full proposal. Any other supporting work you wish to add to your EOI will help, but are not required. Such things might be images, budgets, timelines, crew composition, etc. These items do not have to be in a finished form.
- Full proposals should be submitted with the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A summary of your experience in construction (particularly Burn builds) and any other relevant qualifications and skills
- Full design proposals including a detailed outline of the intended structure, design images, construction timeline, burn plan, cleanup plan, crew composition, bill of materials and tool/machinery requirements.
An estimated budget for 2020’s Effigy is $8000.