So you’re planning to take some snaps at Kiwiburn? You got your SLR with the telephoto lens? Or that shiny iPhone 6? Behold and beware, there are some very firm ground rules about taking images at our Burn. Please read the policy for all the nitty gritty, but in the meantime, here are the cardinal commandments:
- Thou shalt not take a photo of a human being without their consent.
- Inebriated people can’t give consent!
- Yes, that means no crowd shots
- Consent can be asked after taking the photo – but if you don’t get it, delete it!
- Naked people are people too only MORE SO – absolutely seek informed consent before taking any shots of nudity!
- Thou shalt not use Kiwiburn photos for commercial purposes without Kiwiburn consent. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want consent.
- It’s ok to share your photos with your friends and “friends” (the social media ones), as long as you don’t breach the other two commandments
- Remember Immediacy: You are there to experience the Burn, not document it!
There are, in fact, people there documenting the Burn – We have some official volunteer photographers this year who are taking shots of the Burn that we can use in our comms in future years. Those volunteers follow the rules above too. You’ll recognise them by their shiny hi-viz vests, lanyards and whatever else we can load them up with!
Speaking of official photographers:
- Would you like to be one? We are still looking for photographers and drone operators to join the team! Email email@example.com to apply, or fill in this form! Please note, you do have to have your own ticket to volunteer for this role.
- Theme camps – we have made a form for you to get an official photoshoot! We would love to capture more of what happens inside theme camps, so if you are willing to let us do that, please fill out the form and let us know when and what we can take some shots of. These will be shared back with you and our volunteers are photo-savvy, so you may get some nice shots out of it!