With Kiwiburn encroaching ever so rapidly, it’s a good time to remind ya’ll about safety on site! Below are some of the things you can do at your camps to ensure everyone has a fun and safe time on the Paddock.
Cables: Minimising the risk
- Use heavier insulated cables instead of household cables. These are less likely to tear or have insulation wear, and are more resilient over time (long-life asset!).
- Use longer cables (20m+ where applicable). This means fewer connection points, and less chance of things being disconnected. However, its also important to keep excess calves neatly out of the way.
- Hang cables under cover where possible. Keeping cables off the ground and out of the way works to isolate trip hazard risks and also keeps the weather out.
- Use waterproof plug covers.
- Tape all plug to plug connections.
- Make camp members aware of shut off switch for all electrics.
- Generators need to be positioned in a way that they and the emissions they produce, are isolated from occupied or frequently occupied areas.
- Fuel should be stored AT LEAST 5 meters away from the location of generator, ideally in shaded conditions.
- Cables from generators – see above!
Structures and fixings
- Consider foot traffic when erecting your structures, and ensure that guy robes and pegs/fixings are placed in a way that minimises trip hazards.
- Guy ropes should be highlighted or made visible as much as is reasonably practicable.
- If you are using warratahs and re-bar for larger fixings, ensure that the exposed points of these are covered and highlighted to prevent injury if someone were to walk into or trip over these.
Theme Camp H&S Plans
All Theme Camps should have now submitted their H&S plans. Please ensure you have a copy of these with you on site! Our H&S Team will be going around to inspect your site on set up, and will be asking you to see the copy of your plan.
Safety teams will be completing a checklist to ensure you have set up your camp according to your plan, and will work with you to make any improvements or adjustments required so you get a big green tick from the checklist.